- Program Requirements
- Courses & Tracks
- Program Delivery Options
- Certificate Programs
- Social Entrepeneurship Certificate
- Joint MPA/JD
- Combined BSPA/MPA or BA/MPA
- Tuition & Fees
- Financial Assistance
- Courses & Tracks
- Processes & Forms
- Career Resources
- Career Development
The mission of the MPA Program at the University of North Dakota is to instill public service values and to prepare people to enter into or advance in government and related fields.
Goals and Objectives Related to the Mission
1. The University of North Dakota’s MPA Program seeks to prepare its students for public service by developing and supplementing the following:
- Skills related to critical and analytical thinking, decision-making, and communication.
- An understanding of:
- The theories and practice of public management, and the design and analysis of public policy.
- The public context in which public administrators work, including the institutions, actors, processes, functions, challenges, and responsibilities of government.
- The ability to practice effectively as an administrator in public, non-profit, or healthcare organizations.
- A recognition of, and appreciation for, the role of diversity in public service delivery.
2. The University of North Dakota’s MPA Program seeks to serve North Dakota by educating future State and community public service professionals and through the research activities of the Bureau of Governmental Affairs.
3. The University of North Dakota’s MPA Program faculty are dedicated to:
- Excellence and innovation in teaching.
- Student service and mentorship.
- Serving the community, North Dakota, and profession through teaching, service and scholarship.
- Conducting research that is relevant and accessible to both practitioners and academics, and has the potential to improve the practice of public, nonprofit, and health administration.
Public Service Values reflected in our Mission Goals and Objectives:
Through the above mission goals and objectives, the University of North Dakota’s MPA Program seeks to promote an appreciation and respect for the following public service values in its students:
- Dedication to service in the public interest.
- Personal and professional ethics and integrity.
- Pursuit of quality, performance excellence, and the efficient and responsible use of resources.
- Promoting accountability by striving for transparency, accuracy, and accessibility.
- Promoting, respecting, and upholding principles consistent with the democratic process, the rule of law, and/or U.S. and state constitutions, such as equality, fairness, representativeness, and due process in protecting rights.
- Opposition to discrimination and harassment.
- The exercise of compassion and empathy in service delivery.