The UND MSAE Program has recently been recognized as a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) program by the North Dakota University System. As such, students in the MSAE program may be eligible to apply for the North Dakota University System STEM Loan Forgiveness Program under CIP code 45.0603, Econometrics & Quantitative Economics.
The purpose of the STEM Loan Forgiveness Program is to promote the studies of STEM-related fields, while encouraging students to remain in North Dakota post-graduation by offering loan forgiveness payments.
Not all students who apply to the STEM Loan Forgiveness Program will receive funding, as it is contingent upon legislative appropriations each year.
To qualify for this program, students need to meet the following criteria:
- Must have graduated from a board-approved college;
- Must have successfully completed a board-approved STEM-related program of study;
- Must have maintained a cumulative 2.5 grade point average (GPA) or higher, based on a 4.0 grading system, at a board-approved college;
- Must have a qualifying student loan and not be in default on that loan;
- Must have been employed full-time in North Dakota in a board-approved STEM occupation for 12 months following graduation beginning at least by July 1 of the previous year. Qualifying teachers must hold a full-time teaching contract of at least 9 months in a Department of Public approved public or private primary or secondary school in North Dakota.
More details for the STEM Loan Forgiveness Program can be found at http://ndus.edu/makers/procedures/ndus/default.asp?PID=312&SID=57 .