Giants Entrepreneurship Challenge
The School of Entrepreneurship is pleased to host the Giants Entrepreneurship Challenge, our annual business plan competition, which is held on the UND campus in Grand Forks each April.
This event is sponsored by GIANT Snacks, Jay Schuler & Lucy Spiekermeier.
The competition is open to all student teams at colleges and universities in the United States and Canadian provinces. Judges for the competition will be experienced entrepreneurs and business development specialists, not faculty. To ensure that the Giants Entrepreneurship Challenge provides as much useful feedback as possible, we are asking our judges to thoroughly evaluate the quality of each business plan in selecting winners.
Monetary prizes will be awarded for 1st Place, 2nd Place, 3rd Place, Best Elevator Pitch, Most Improved, and Most Innovative Idea.
1st place - Sponsored by JLG Architects - $5,000
2nd Place - Sponsored by UND College of Business and Public Administration - $2,000
3rd Place - Sponsored by the Center for Innovation - $1,000
Best Elevator Pitch - Sponsored by US Bank - $250
Most Innovative Idea - Sponsored by Valley Dairy - $250
Most Improved - Sponsored by Rhombus Guys - $250
Deadlines and Checklist
- March 3, 2015 - Submit Registration Form and Executive Summary
- March 30, 2015 - The top 12 teams will be notified by this date
- April 6, 2015 - Deadline to accept invitation to compete
- April 10, 2015 - Full Business Plans must be received by this date
- April 24-25, 2015 - Compete in GIANTS Entrepreneurship Challenge
Tuesday, March 3, 2015
The Executive Summary shall be submitted electronically in a pdf file to: email@example.com.
The Executive Summary should be a one-to-two page synopsis of your Business Plan. Page formatting is 1.5 inch line spacing with 1 inch margins on all sides on 8.5-by-11-size paper. Font size must be 12-point.
It is highly recommended that your Executive Summary highlight the most interesting and important elements of your plan that would inform an external reviewer or judge as to why your idea will succeed.
Top 12 Teams
On or before Monday, March 30, 2015, twelve teams will be notified that they have been selected to present their Business Plan and Elevator Pitch at the Giants Entrepreneurship Challenge on April 24th and 25 th, 2015
Deadline: Friday, April 10, 2015
- Send 1 electronic version, in pdf format, of your Business Plan to:
- The Challenge staff will print 10 hard copies of your Business Plan in black and white for the Judges to review during the competition.
- The Business Plan is limited to 20 pages of text including appendices. Please use 1.5 line spacing with 1 inch margins on all sides on 8.5- by- 11-size paper. Font size must be 12-point.
- Your business plan must include:
- Executive Summary
- Financial data (cash flow statement, income statement and balance sheet)
- Business Plans should clearly explain your Products or Services, Market and Marketing Strategy, Operations, Management; and
- Business Model (how your venture makes money).
Eligibility and Entry Requirements
- The Challenge is designed for any undergraduate or graduate student enrolled at a university/college in the United States or Canada during the 2014-2015 academic year.
- This is not a product plan competition. Business plans should feature viable, sustainable ventures with a demonstrable market need. Ability to secure customer(s) within 12 months is essential.
- The Challenge does not require an entry fee.
- Teams may be comprised of an individual student or a group of up to four (4) students, with no more than one (1) non-student member in the group. Teams can be comprised of completely undergraduate, graduate, or a mix of both.
- Competitors from past Challenges may compete with the same idea as long as they still qualify and did not place in the top three with the same business plan.
- The Business Plan must be student-initiated.
- The Business Plan may not be for existing franchises or expansions of existing businesses.
- Each Team must submit the required registration documents no later than March 3, 2015:
- Registration Form
- Executive Summary of the Business Plan
- If invited to compete, Full Business Plans must be received no later than April 10, 2015.
Process and Format
- A panel of judges will conduct a blind review to choose the top twelve submissions based on their executive summaries.
- If a Team withdraws from the competition, the next ranked Business Plan on the wait list will be selected. We encourage all Teams on the waiting list to continue working on their Business Plans.
- The Challenge will invite the selected twelve teams to compete in Grand Forks, ND April 24-25, 2015.
- Team presentation order will be determined by a random drawing. At registration, Teams will receive their team number and presentation times for Rounds 1 & 2 and Elevator Pitches.
- One member from each Team will give a 90 second Elevator Pitch on Friday afternoon, April 24, 2015.
- All Teams will give Round 1 presentations on Friday evening, April 24, 2015.
- Judges will provide feedback to each Team after all Round 1 presentations are completed.
- All Teams will give Round 2 presentations on Saturday morning, April 25, 2015.
- No one other than Team Members & Judges will be allowed to view the presentations to protect intellectual property.
- The public and media will be invited to observe the Elevator Pitches and attend the Award Ceremony.
- Monetary prizes will be awarded for 1st Place, 2nd Place, 3rd Place, Best Elevator Pitch, Most Improved, and Most Innovative Idea. The Award Ceremony is Saturday afternoon, April 25, 2015.
- All decisions by the judges are final.
- If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact: Giants Entrepreneurship Challenge at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 701-777-4916.
- 1st Place - Cara Wood Shield (University of Houston) sponsored by JLG Architects - $5,000
- 2nd Place - PowerPitch (University of Arizona) sponsored by the Entrepreneurship Department - $2,000
- 3rd Place - Oxiginne (University of Houston) sponsored by the Center for Innovation - $1,000
- Best Elevator Pitch - CommSense (Purdue University) sponsored by US Bank - $250
- Most Innovative Idea - TuffTum (South Dakota State University) sponsored by Valley Dairy - $250
- Most Improved - Caydian (Stanford University) sponsored by Rhombus Guys - $250
- 1st Place Prize - nuplug (Western Connecticut State University) - $5,000
- 2nd Place Prize - The Titan (U.S. Air Force Academy) - $2,000 & Best Elevator Pitch $250
- 3rd Place Prize - OralCheck (Johns Hopkins University) - $1,000 & Most Innovative $250
- Most Improved Team - Power Evolved, LLC (University of North Dakota) - $250
- 1st Place Prize - myQuub (University of North Dakota) - $5,000 & Incubation Services Prize
- 2nd Place Prize - 360 Mobile (Ball State University) - $2,000 & Most Innovative Idea $250
- 3rd Place Prize - Hemova (Johns Hopkins University) - $1,000
- Best Elevator Pitch - Handlelt (Loyola Marymount University) - $250
- Most Improved Team - HeadFoams (South Dakota State University) - $250
Giants Entrepreneurship Challenge
School of Entrepreneurship
293 Centennial Drive Stop 8355
Grand Forks, ND 58202-8355