Center for Business Engagement & Development
UND’s Center for Business Engagement & Development is the institution’s business outreach hub. This newly named center hosts three separate national business assistance programs in order to provide assistance to entrepreneurs and businesses throughout the state, at no-cost to the business.
Mission: To help North Dakotans to start, manage, and grow their businesses, and to promote the University of North Dakota and the College of Business & Public Administration.
We look forward to:
- Extending our reach
- Building collaborative relationships to better serve the state
- Meeting the needs of North Dakotans
- Highlighting the skills, offerings and talents at the UND CoBPA
Since its inception in 1986, ND SBDC has evolved into a strong statewide network of ten service centers located across ND. The ND SBDC provides individualized business advising services, training workshops, and general support to entrepreneurs and small businesses across the state.
The ND SBDC functions under the leadership of the State Director located at the Lead Center in Gamble Hall. The ND SBDC program is funded in part by a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration, ND Department of Commerce, and many generous local partners from within our state.
- Each year, the ND SBDC program serves approximately 1000 clients, providing over 6,000 hours of assistance.
- The ND SBDC reports that small businesses assisted in the last two years created or retained 1,100 jobs in North Dakota.
The PTAC provides specialized assistance to businesses both small and large, enabling them to identify potential government contract opportunities. Our professionals advise businesses on how to obtain, manage, and comply with contract requirements for the Department of Defense (DoD), other federal agencies, state & local governments, and businesses with government prime contractors.
This program is funded in part through a cooperative agreement with the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), with required matching funds provided by the ND Department of Commerce.
- ND PTAC services include one-on-one assistance and training workshops around the state including an annual procurement conference with one-on-one matchmaking opportunities.
- We emphasize the importance of understanding contracting requirements, and educate businesses on all levels of government contracting.
The VBOC is the newest addition to the center’s outreach offerings. Since May of 2018, UND CoBPA has hosted this important program geared specifically towards supporting the entrepreneurial endeavors of our nation’s military.
VBOC of the Dakotas is funded through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration.
- VBOC of the Dakotas serves North Dakota and South Dakota, as the “one-stop-shop” for service members, veterans and military spouses looking to start, purchase, or grow a business.
- VBOCs provide training workshops through the Boots to Business and Boots to Business
Reboot curriculums, as well as one-on-one business development assistance which includes
training, advising and mentoring, and resource referrals.