Certificate in Public Administration
This program seeks to provide the management core needed by professionals from many academic backgrounds who have risen to positions of authority in the public and not-for-profit sector without benefit of formal management training.
Take four of the following courses:
- POLS 531 Seminar: Public Administration - 3 credits
- POLS 533 Administrative Ethics in the Public Sector - 3 credits
- POLS 535 Public Organizations - 3 credits
- POLS 536 Public Personnel Administration - 3 credits
- POLS 538 Public Budgeting & Financial Administration - 3 credits
- POLS 539 Administrative Law - 3 credits
Certificate programs are offered for those who do not want to make an initial commitment to a master’s degree program, but courses taken may be applied to an MPA if a student decides to pursue the degree. Completing a certificate does not guarantee admission into the full MPA degree program.
Requirements for admissions include:
- A four-year bachelor's degree from a recognized college of university.
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 for all undergraduate work (based on a A = 4.00).
The courses are designed to complement each other with minimal overlap or repetition of information. They are non-linear, so individuals can begin the coursework in any semester.
All courses are offered in a hybrid format. Each class has a group of local students, attending on-site at UND, and also has distance students who enter the classroom remotely from any location. This technology allows synchronous (“real-time”) delivery of the program to students in any location, as long as they have access to the required equipment.
All students (whether receiving instruction on-site or online) are required to attend the “live” class. To accommodate working professionals, almost all MPA courses are offered in the evening (7 p.m. - 10 p.m.).
Online students will connect to the class meetings through Adobe Connect. For more information or for technical support with Adobe Connect contact the Center for Instructional and Learning Technologies.