Center for Business Engagement & Development
The Center for Business Engagement & Development is UND’s business outreach hub.
Hosting three separate national business assistance and resource programs, the network provides these services to individuals and businesses throughout the state – at no cost.
While each of the three programs has its own unique mission and set of services, they routinely work together to help businesses start and thrive. Being located within the Nistler College of Business & Public Administration provides opportunities for collaboration and student engagement on real business development, highlighting the skills, offerings, and talents within the college.
Whether looking to start a business based on the hint of an idea, grow your established business, or plan ahead for business succession, these programs can help.
Since its inception in 1986, ND SBDC has evolved into a strong statewide network of service centers. With locations across the state, the program provides business advising services, training workshops and general support of small businesses and entrepreneurs. The team of professionally certified business advisors can assist with a wide range of topics and issues, all confidentially and free of charge.
- Each year, the ND SBDC program serves over 1000 clients, providing over 6,000 hours of assistance, and opening approximately 100 new businesses.
- Over the last two years, small business assisted by the ND SBDC have created or saved over 5,100 jobs in North Dakota.
- One-on-one advising, business plan development and financial projections have resulted in over $65,000,000 in capital invested in ND SBDC client businesses in the last year.
The ND SBDC functions under the leadership of the State Director located at the Lead Center in Gamble Hall. The ND SBDC program is funded in part by a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration, ND Department of Commerce, and many generous local partners from within our state.
ND PTAC provides specialized assistance to businesses, both small and large, to enter and succeed in the complex government contracting market. The professional advisors work with businesses to obtain, manage, and comply with contract requirements for the Department of Defense (DoD), other federal agencies, state & local governments, and businesses with government prime contracts. Services include:
- One-on-one assistance and training workshops around the state
- Annual procurement conference with one-on-one matchmaking opportunities
- An emphasis on the importance of understanding contracting requirements
- Connection to education for businesses on all levels of government contracting
This program is funded in part through a cooperative agreement with the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), with required matching funds provided by the ND Department of Commerce.
Since May 2018, UND Nistler CoBPA and the Center for Business Engagement & Development has hosted this important program geared specifically towards supporting the entrepreneurial efforts of our nation’s military and their spouses. VBOC of the Dakotas serves active duty, National Guard and Reserve members, veterans of any era and military spouses in both North and South Dakota. Services include:
- Training through the Boots to Business workshops on military installations
- Boots to Business Reboot workshops off-installation
- Free and confidential one-on-one advising and business development assistance
- Referrals to additional business development programs and resources
VBOC of the Dakotas is funded through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration.