The Nistler College of Business & Public Administration strongly believes in providing experiential learning experiences for our students, faculty, and community.
Experiential education involves “learning by doing." At the Nistler College of Business & Public Administration we strive to meet these goals through the variety of business symposiums that are offered on campus throughout the year. Experiential learning opportunities are an integral way for students to gain insight into the business world.
Experiential Learning Opportunities
- Add more value to their academic studies by giving students a chance to apply theories learned in classes to “real life” situations.
- Assist in identifying the interdisciplinary skills gained from the classroom that are utilized and applied in their field of interest.
Speaker Series and Symposiums
The Hultberg Lectureship Series was established thirty-two years ago with a gift through the UND Foundation by Clara E. Anderson (Hultberg) in memory of her parents Hans and Suzanne Hultberg. Clara was a 1928 UND graduate; her interests were in stimulating challenges and opportunities for students in business. Each year, successful women alumni from UND bring their professional experiences to the University community through this unique event.
The NCoBPA Women's Leadership Summit will host a dynamic group of UND Alumnae for a Hultberg Panel Discussion on networking and leadership. Followed by a keynote discussion with Carin Anderson, Senior Vice President of Corporate Partnerships & Retail Management for the MN Wild Hockey.
The purpose of the Olafson Ethics Symposium is to provide a platform for students and the business community to explore the importance of both personal and professional ethics.
This annual event is funded through the support of Robert Olafson and his dedication to ethical business practices and the University of North Dakota.
The Morrison Leadership Summit has been established by a gift from McCain Foods, in honor of the company's former CEO, Dale Morrison. Morrison, a North Dakota native, is a distinguished alumnus of the Nistler CoBPA.
He has more than three decades of experience within the international food industry. Morrison worked at General Foods, PepsiCo, and Campbell Soup Company until 2004 when he became the President and CEO of McCain Foods. Notable alumni and friends of the Nistler CoBPA who currently hold (or have previously held) leadership positions will be in attendance for the event.
Real World Educational Opportunities
Our students have a wealth of opportunities to apply classroom concepts to real world scenarios. For example:
- Student Managed Investment Fund (SMIF) allows students to manage and administer a $1 million investment portfolio on the New York Stock Exchange.
- The Dakota Venture Group gives students the opportunity to review and fund entrepreneurial business ventures. Students who participate in the American Marketing Association gain valuable insight through planning and promoting a special speaker series and visiting alumni at their career sites.
- Students pursuing a degree program within the college also have access to a large pool of scholarships, which are awarded annually, as well as numerous internships that assist in building a student's resume.
Additional Experiential Learning Opportunities
- Executives in the classroom
- Study abroad experiences
- Student internships
- Classroom/interactive projects
- Student organizations